Concussion Management Program
For more information about concussion rehabilitation please call (914) 458-8700 or request an appointment online.
The Concussion Management Program at Chappaqua Crossing takes a multidisciplinary approach to effectively treat adolescents and adults who have sustained concussions. Concussion rehab can include physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy and neuropsychology. We help patients reach their individual goals safely, whether it's to return to normal, daily function, return to school or work, or return to sports.
Meet your physical therapist: Lisa Henselder, PT, DPT, GCS describes concussion treatment and management at NWH at Chappaqua Crossing.
Your Multidisciplinary Team
Our experienced team of Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists and Neuropsychologists treat patients at all stages of concussion: from immediately after injury through to baseline function.
Based on a comprehensive evaluation, we create individualized concussion treatment plans. Your team of concussion rehabilitation specialists will collaborate with your other medical professionals, such as your primary care physician and neurologist.
Our Physical Therapists prescribe a comprehensive program that may entail oculomotor exercises, habituation exercises, balance exercises, and prepare you to return to life, work and sport.
You may benefit from concussion management with a Physical Therapist if you are experiencing any of the these conditions post concussion:
- Light or sound sensitivity
- Car sickness
- Head, neck, or back pain
- Inability to return to work, school, sports
Our Speech Therapists work with patients on cognitive-communication impairments.
You may benefit concussion rehabilitation with a Speech Therapist if you are experiencing any of these conditions post concussion:
- Attention and concentration problems
- Problems processing and understanding information
- Language and communication problems
- Problems learning and remembering new information
- Planning and organization problems
- Problems with reasoning, problem-solving and judgment
- Inappropriate, embarrassing or impulsive behavior
- Inability to return to work or school
You may benefit from concussion rehabilitation with Occupational Therapists if you are experiencing any of these conditions post concussion:
- Difficulty returning to daily activities including work, school or leisure activities due to cognitive or visual-perceptual deficits
- Decreased awareness of your environment
- Trouble with fine or gross motor coordination
- Problem-solving related to family tasks such as money management, work and leisure tasks
The NWH Concussion Management Program will help you return to academic and work life, as well as athletics, as soon as possible.
You may benefit from a neuropsychological evaluation and/or cognitive rehabilitation with a Neuropsychologist if you are experiencing any of these conditions post concussion:
- Poor attention and concentration
- Difficulty processing new information
- Decreased short term memory
- Impaired executive function
- Increased irritability or changes to your mood
- Decline and/or difficulties in academic or work performance
- Sleep disturbances
- Emotional difficulties
The NWH Concussion Program will help you return to academic / work life, as well as athletics, as soon as possible.
The NWH Concussion Management Program helps reduce post-concussion symptoms. We help both the casual and competitive athlete return to play safely.
- We give our athlete patients a post-concussion exercise program that helps them return to all other activities of daily living
- We customize a training program and concussion therapy that is sport-specific
Center for Disease Control offers tools for youth and high school sports coaches, parents, athletes, and health care professionals that provide important information on preventing, recognizing, and responding to a concussion.
To learn more about our Concussion Management Program, call us at (914) 458-8700 or request an appointment online.